To reduce the arsenic content of rice boil it like pasta. This will reduce the arsenic content by about 40% but it also reduces the vitamin content by 50%. This cooking method was tested using whole-grain brown rice but it can be applied to other whole-grain rices of color like wild rice, red rice, and black rice. You could do this with white rice but it will remove all the vitamins and nutrients.
Makes 3 cups.
|Black Rice||1 cup||165 g (dry)||600|
1 cup black rice
6 cups water
- Use 6 parts water to 1 part rice.
- Add 1 cup of rice and 6 cups of water to a pot.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and serve.
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.60 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.61 g|
|Folic Acid / Folate||1.9%|
See Rice Contains Arsenic for more information.